Monday 21 February 2011

Rowdies Brain Teaser? - Incorrect Jersey

I was looking on ebay recently, when I came across this item up for auction - "Vtg NASL Tampa Bay Rowdies Wegerle Soccer Jersey Shirt" - item number 160548396108, which had me scratching my head.
I don't profess to be a Rowdies expert, but alarms were ringing. Although it's not listed as a game worn jersey, I wouldn't want someone to bid on it, thinking it was.
My first concern is, the Adidas logo, this jersey is from the Rowdies 1988 ASL season, these jerseys were manufactured by Nike.

Also, the Rowdies stopped using numbers of the front of the jersey after the 1986-87 AISA indoor season.

And finally, although names were used on the backs of the jerseys, this style of number was not, a block number was, as seen in this photo below

2 comments:

Rogue '78 said...

I know exactly which Ebay vendor made that shirt. He (?) is known for making fake vintage jerseys. I'll bet the starting price is $9.99.

Chuck's Used Cards said...

I have seen this guy rake in money on misleading "vintage NASL" jerseys.

I recommend anyone to STAY AWAY from his stuff.

I am, in fact, an expert on jersey - and have reported him before.