Wednesday, 3 June 2015

Rowdies vs. Indy Eleven

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (May 30, 2015) -- The Tampa Bay Rowdies and Indy Eleven tied 2-2 on Saturday night at Michael A. Carroll Stadium in Indianapolis. The Rowdies seemed poised for a win deep in stoppage time, but an Indy goal in the eighth minute of stoppage time saw the teams split the points.
Indy Eleven took the lead in the 22nd minute off a goal by midfielder Dylan Mares, but defender Rich Balchan would find the equalizer for Tampa Bay late in the first half, setting the stage for an unpredictable second half.
It seemed like the Rowdies would steal all three points after forward Maicon Santos scored the go-ahead goal for the Rowdies, but Indy Eleven defender Kyle Hyland had other plans. As the match entered the 98th minute, Hyland blasted a strike into the upper 90 to level the match at 2-2. The Rowdies finished the game playing with 8 men after three second half red cards.
The match was halted in the 22nd minute due to lightning in the area for two hours and three minutes. 
It was Indy Eleven that started on the right foot, creating most of the chances in the first couple minutes of the match. Despite Indy pushing numbers forward, the Rowdies defense was able to contain all attacks. That would change in the 22nd minute when midfielder Brian Brown layed off a pass to Mares, who placed his shot at the far post far away from Rowdies goalkeeper Matt Pickens.
Immediately after the goal, the referee stopped the match due to lightning in the area. After a delay of two hours and three minutes, the teams came back onto the pitch to resume the match.
The Rowdies used the delay to regroup and come out stronger from the whistle. In the 28th minute forward Corey Hertzog had the first clear chance for the Rowdies, entering the 18-yard box and firing a shot just over the cross bar.
Just before the 40th minute, Balchan found space outside the 18-yard box and striked the ball towards Indy Eleven's goal. His shot deflected off defender Cory Miller and trickled into the net. This is Balchan's first goal with the Rowdies.
As the second half got underway, the Rowdies once again were under pressure by an Indy Eleven offense that wanted to regain the lead. Pickens made the first important save of the half in the 57th minute, when midfielder Victor Pineda curled his free kick on frame but the Rowdies keeper was there to push it wide of the net.
It was in the 68th minute when the Rowdies took the lead for the first time on the night. Midfielder Georgi Hristov serviced a perfect corner kick into the heart of the box finding a wide open Santos. The Brazilian redirected the cross with a beautiful header at the far post.
It wouldn't end well for Santos, as in the 73rd minute he would receive a red card for some extra curricular activities after a foul was called. As the Rowdies protected the one-goal lead, defender Stefan Antonijevic was issued a second yellow card and the ensuing red in the 89th minute.
In the dying moments of the match, Hyland found space from around 35 yards out and fired a shot into the top right corner of the net. Moments after the equalizer, the Rowdies were down to eight men as Hristov received a red card.

Scoring Summary:
Indy Eleven: Dylan Mares - 22nd minute (Assisted by Brian Brown)
Rowdies: Rich Balchan - 40th minute (Assisted by Georgi Hristov)
Rowdies: Maicon Santos - 68th minute (Assisted by Georgi Hristov)
Indy Eleven: Kyle Hyland - 90+8th minute

Indy Eleven: Nicht; Franco, Miller (Melgares 81'), Janicki (C), Hyland; Keller (Ring 34'); Stojkov (Wojcik 85'), Mares, Brown, Pineda; Rugg
Rowdies: Pickens; Balchan, Mkandawire (C), Antonijevic, Sweat; Guerra, Menjivar; Hristov; Hertzog (Hernandez 65', Agbossoumonde 90+'), Santos, Espinal (King 79')

No comments: